On 8/24/18, hw <h...@adminart.net> wrote:

> But that doesn´t work either, the windows are placed on top of each
> other again.  With !UsePPosition alone, I get the windows placed as I
> want it, but it means Firefox is moving them rather than that fvwm
> places them.

Yes, FF creates its windows with the size given in sessionrestore.js,
*then* moves, retitles and paints them. You can see the detailed
sequence this is done in the sessionrestore code.
You might notice some of these freshly-created windows flashing up for
a *very* brief moment before "disappearing" again.
If you configure FvwmWindowList to show the window coordinates, then
you can easily see "where" the windows are.

On 8/25/18, Dominik Vogt <dominik.v...@gmx.de> wrote:
> It actually is possible.  Sort of.  If the application claims that
> a requested position is "user specified" instead of "program
> specified", the window manager has no way of knowing that the user
> did not ask for it.  Nowadays many programs abuse this hint to
> override the window manager - in clear violation of the
> communication rules set in the ICCCM2 standard.

Well, Firefox is correct if it says "user specified" position, as
*you* probably were the one who originally specified it by moving the
window.

Firefox moves windows off-screen when playing something fullscreen by
Flash, and maybe even HLS.js too, so I guess the underlying cause of
our problem is that Firefox stores these temporary positions *instead*
of the original ones (i.e. those before switching to fullscreen
playback) when it does its regular sessionrestore.js file updates.

So, may I ask, did Firefox crash in full screen video playback mode?
Or what did happen before the problem of incorrect session restore arised?

Because, maybe the best thing we can do is to collect as much
information about the problem as we can, so we can file a helpful
Firefox bug report that actually enables Mozilla to get that fixed?

Stefan

P.S.: I also had instances of LibreOffice hanging offscreen, in every
case following some (major?) update. Seems it does no version-check
its preferences+session files, as deleting these always fixed the
problem for me.