Dominik Vogt <dominik.v...@gmx.de> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 10:58:51PM +0200, hw wrote:
>> Stefan Blachmann <sblachm...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > I was annoyed and looked into that.
>> > session[re]store.js is a *horrible* mess of code, and to understand
>> > its workings, I just disabled the screen bounds check where
>> > sessionrestore creates the windows from the data in the
>> > sessionrestore.js file and wrote a script that just corrects the
>> > coordinates in the sessionrestore.js file, so that Firefox restores as
>> > it should.
>> > So I could just run the firepox script, after that run FF, it should
>> > restore the windows where they originally were.
>> >
>> > The script might be outdated for new FF versions, as the
>> > sessionrestore code was changed again in the meantime, introducing
>> > again random placement of restored windows.
>> > But reading it might give you some insight of the workings in the
>> > sessionrestore.js files.
>> >
>> > It is on github together with a small intro, here:
>> > https://github.com/kernschmelze/firepox
>>
>> Thanks!  I think it must not be possible at all for a program that
>> creates windows to override the very window manager that manages the
>> windows.
>
> It actually is possible.  Sort of.  If the application claims that
> a requested position is "user specified" instead of "program
> specified", the window manager has no way of knowing that the user
> did not ask for it.  Nowadays many programs abuse this hint to
> override the window manager - in clear violation of the
> communication rules set in the ICCCM2 standard.

That's not overriding the window manager, it's overriding what the user
wants.

IIUC, I explicitly told the window manager to ignore what the program
tries to do about the placement of the windows it creates, and yet the
window manager still allows the program to do (part of) what it wants
rather than what I told the window manager to do about the window
placement.

So either the window manager is ignoring what I'm telling it to do, or
the program is able to override the window manager, or both.

Either way, what I´m telling the computer to do is being overridden, and
that is not acceptable.