On Fri, Jun 07, 2019 at 10:31:56PM -0700, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> 1)
>
> First, under fvwm, some certain applications, specifically evince and
> the chromium browser, display with any of the usual outer framing that
> fvwm seems to provide for all other X application programs, e.g. Xterm,
> xpdf, and the Firefox and Oprera browsers.

Chromium has an option to disable this.

As for evince and others, this is due to CSD (Client-side Decorations).
There's no proper way around this other than to use a patched gtk which uses
LD_PRELOAD to override this behaviour.

Have a look at gtk3-nocsd (https://github.com/PCMan/gtk3-nocsd).  I've just
checekd my FreeBSD machine -- it's not packaged.