On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 07:15:05PM -0700, Rainer Koehler wrote:

> Fvwm and its documentation are open source, if there's something you
> don't like, fix it.  If you are able to edit your fvwm2rc, you should
> be able to write a little text about it, you don't need a degree in
> computer science for that.

Agreed - Except that it's a bit difficult to accurately document
something in terms someone else can understand when the "documetor"
doesn't understand it. For example, I've seen the following examples for
FvwmTaskBar :

>From the fvwm webpage :

Style "FvwmTaskBar" NoTitle,BorderWidth 4, HandleWidth 4,Sticky,
StaysOnTop,WindowSkipList,CirculateSkip
#------------------------------------ taskbar
*FvwmTaskBar: Back #c3c3c3
*FvwmTaskBar: Fore black
*FvwmTaskBar: TipsBack bisque
*FvwmTaskBar: TipsFore black
*FvwmTaskBar: Geometry +0-0
*FvwmTaskBar: Font -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
*FvwmTaskBar: SelFont -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
*FvwmTaskBar: StatusFont fixed

>From the FvwmTaskBar 2.6  man page on my system :

Style "FvwmTaskBar" NoTitle,BorderWidth 4, HandleWidth 4,Sticky,
StaysOnTop,WindowSkipList,CirculateSkip

#------------------------------------ taskbar
*FvwmTaskBarBack #c3c3c3
*FvwmTaskBarFore black
*FvwmTaskBarTipsBack bisque
*FvwmTaskBarTipsFore black
*FvwmTaskBarGeometry +0-1
*FvwmTaskBarFont -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
*FvwmTaskBarSelFont -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
*FvwmTaskBarStatusFont fixed

I am in no way singling out FvwmTaskBar - I just happened to be working
with it lately. The second example works, the first doesn't (as far as I
can tell). This is typical of what I'm apparently misunderstanding. It
appears that fvwm plays very loose and fast with the config file in
terms of syntax? Or am I just missing something? It appears that there's
always more than one way to do anything, which I guess has its merits,
but is almost always initially more confusing than a tightly controlled
syntax. For example, do all of the parts of a function or menu
definition need to be in one place (immediately under the AddToFunc or
AddToMenu), or can they be spread around. If the latter, what's the
advantage? It seems like you'd want them all grouped together anyway,
just organizationally. I tend to look on config files in general much
like source code - Make them modular, organized and as easy to read as
possible.

I've seen a couple of replies to my original post that I've yet to read
carefully and digest, so I'll not waste bandwidth here asking questions
they may answer.

However, I do have one concerning FvwmTaskBar (no, make that two) :

1. With BorderWidth and HandleWidth set to 1 or 0, the taskbar doesn't
occupy the full width of the screen. Is there a way to force this?

2. When I configure a Popup StartMenu, is there a way to accurately
control where it appears on screen, in regard to the Start button? If I
understood MenuStyle a bit better, maybe the answer is there
(PopupOffset, or whatever it's called)...?

OK - One more (general) question :

Is there a way to globally turn off mouse pointer warping so that it
never warps to a menu, window, whatever? That's one behavior I _really_
would like to get rid of, particularly on popup menus.

Thanks.