Len Philpot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 10:14:47AM -0400, Dan Espen wrote:
> > Len Philpot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Right now, I think my issues are more with an understanding of the
> fundamental syntax of the config file, not the actual values in it. It's
> looking more and more to me that conceptually, the config file is a bit
> like Perl in that there are implied values, multiple syntaxes, shorthand
> notations, etc. Is this correct?

No, I don't think so.
There's only 1 shorthand in fvwm, I can think of and thats "+"
which "continues" "AddToxxx" commands.

You can either do this:

  AddToMenu Utilities Utilities Title
   + Xterm           Exec  exec xterm -e tcsh
   + Rxvt            Exec  exec rxvt

or this

  AddToMenu Utilities Utilities Title
  AddToMenu Utilities Xterm           Exec  exec xterm -e tcsh
  AddToMenu Utilities Rxvt            Exec  exec rxvt

> For example, in your MenuStyle example above, what's the asterisk for?
> All styles? I guess not, since that doesn't make sense, given the
> context.

Why wouldn't

MenuStyle * BorderWidth 10

make sense?  It changes the borderwidth of all menus to 10.

> Should it be in quotes: "*"? I've seen it that way as well here
> and there.

Older versions of fvwm used the quotes in examples,
they were never necessary, and they've
been banished from the documentation and samples for a while now.

> > Fvwm may be speedy and small, but the amount of configuration possible
> > is massive.  Hence the extremly large man page, and difficulty getting
> > started.
>
> What I'm thinking of would be along the lines of what we've all seen in
> programming tutorials : skeleton diagrams with placeholders showing how
> everything is specified, in what order, what case, with what
> punctuation, what's mutually exclusive, what's dependent on each other,
> etc., etc. Then some simple examples that build on each other, instead
> of a massive .fvwm2rc that can walk and talk and do the jitterbug. Also,
> make the examples dovetail with FAQs on how and what can be done.
> Someone else mentioned what I think is a very good idea: Supply a few
> different config file samples that contain the same "content", but with
> a differnt look and feel (native, Win95, CDE, etc.). That way, a newbie
> such as myself could see what does and doesn't change.

Are you aware that you can start fvwm with no config file at all,
press F1 or any mouse button on the root window and fvwm will
offer to create a few different configurations for you?

--
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214      Phone: (732) 699-5570