On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 05:45:37PM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 05:33:26PM +0100, RvB wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 08:15:17AM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> >
> > hi :)
> >
> > > I guess you have to ask the Eterm developers about this.
> >
> > i think it is not actually an eterm problem, it also happens with rxvt
> > and many similar programmes. it also happens to transparent window
> > titlebars of fvwm. they are refreshed the whole time while moving, which
> > takes a lot of cpu time. it would be a lot better if there was an option
> > for the window to be refreshed after the move or resize is actually
> > finished.
> > :)
>
> Really, fvwm is just honouring standards.  Any decent
> implementation of transparency (in an application) suppresses most
> of these redraws.
>
> > in other windowmanagers, (enlightenment, afterstep, wmaker, ...)
> > "transparency" acts like this, and it is a lot resource-friendlier ...
> > and as i said it is not an Eterm-specific problem :)
>
> Right, then it's a problem in E, afterstep, wmaker, ... too.  The
> standard (ICCCM2) is very clear about the right behaviour.  If
> other WMs are ignoring this standard, it's their problem, not
> fvwm's.
>
> But to be honest I suspect that you are running very old versions
> of Eterm, rxvt and said window managers.  As far as I know, the
> latest versions of the terminal programs have already been fixed.

I have the latest stable version of Eterm: 0.92
Wouldn't it be nice to have an Option to change this behaviour?
By the Way: what other windowmanager use the ICCCM2-standard?

Klaus

--
5) People say Linux is ugly. How does that make you feel?
Torvalds: They'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.