On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 09:26:49AM -0500, Mark Krenz wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 03:10:25PM +0100, Dominik Vogt said the following:
> >
> > Seriously, there is no reliable ways to find out the window
> > contents to make a copy of the window that is moved around.
> >

>   Um, I don't buy that for a second since I see it done all the time by
> programs that keep track of their own state, background image position,
> transparency, etc.  How hard can it be for fvwm to just grab the screen
> in the position the window is in and move it around.

To answer your question:  it's impossible to do reliably.  Nothing
on earth (except patching the X server) can make it keep the
contents of windows in memory that are buried below other windows
or partially of screen.  That works only for the limited case that
the window is *fully* visible at the time you start moving.  I
think E has something like this, but they drag a partially
transparent pane in the size of the window around the screen.

> I would put up
> with the 1 second it would take to grab the screen if it meant that I
> could move the windows around without hogging the CPU.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^