Op 2 Jun 2003 (4:41), schreef Ben Winslow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 03:18, Jules Alberts wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Recently I upgraded (actually reinstalled) two workstations from RedHat
> > 7.3 to 9. First thing to do afterwards was installing FVWM. The problem
> > is that one machine runs just fine, the other one has a problem with
> > the default RedHat mouse cursors. In 24b color mode the mouse is OK,
> > but the display is _slow_. In 16b mode, the mouse leaves "traces". I
> > think it has something to do with alpha (transparant) parts of the
> > mousecursor bitmaps.
> >
> > I know this probably isn't an FVWM problem, but does anybody know how I
> > can solve this? (Google wasn't my friend)
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Is this happening with the old 2-color bitmapped cursors that X has had
> for ages, or the newer (more colorful) cursors that appeared in XFree
> 4.3 (which support full alpha channels.)

It's the new fancy mousepointers, on a RedHat 9 box.

> If it's the latter, the cursors may be slow on video cards that can't do
> hardware alpha blending.

I think you're right...

> You can switch back to the older cursor style
> by putting the following lines in your Xresources file:
>
> Xcursor.theme: core
> Xcursor.size: 16

...so I tried this but it doesn't work (I tried /etc/X11/Xresources ,
/etc/X11/gdm/Xresources and ~/.Xdefaults). I'm not even sure if the old
cursors are installed at all. Does anyone know how to get "core"
cursors on a RH9 box? Thanks!