Thanks Ben,

It took some time to actually test it properly but indeed the
pixel-density (dpi) changes. Now I will delve through the manpages how
to fix the dpi values in X (so that they always match my laptop's
internal display).

BTW With a different (less capable) secondary monitor attached the
problem did not occur. Apparently X is trying to be (too) clever with
querying the monitor's capabilities.

On 11/6/06, Ben Winslow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 13:46:21 +0100
"Hans Voss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It doesn't seem to matter how I specify the font, both FVWM and KDE
> all fonts, all sizes all specifications (fixed sizes and dynamic) have
> the same problem. That is why I assume it has something to do with
> X-windows (Xorg) itself.

My guess is that X is either configured with or detecting your display
size, and assuming that the doubled resolution (e.g. 2048x768 instead
of 1024x768) is being displayed on that same size instead of being
spanned across two monitors.  This would result in the display DPI
being calculated incorrectly (e.g. 96x96dpi becoming 48x96dpi), which
would cause any fonts renders that cared about DPI (FreeType does) to
use the wrong size.

The easiest way to test this would be to run the following command
in single-head and dual-head mode, comparing the results:
xdpyinfo | egrep '(dimensions|resolution):'

Example output from my workstation:
  dimensions:    1456x1095 pixels (363x270 millimeters)
  resolution:    102x103 dots per inch

You can override the display size in your xorg.conf by adding a
'DisplaySize <width-mm> <height-mm>' statement in the "Monitor"
section.  If the DPI calculation is wrong because the same size is
being used for twice the resolution (as described above), you can
hack around the problem by simply doubling the width (or height,
if you have your screens laid out vertically.)

HTH,
--
Ben Winslow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--
----
Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards