On 3/13/07, Dedeco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>One can easily install it to $HOME in those rare cases the sysadmin
>refuses to install it globally.
Think about QUOTA spaces.
Not the best, IMO.

I personally have fvwm-cvs along with several other apps installed in
my 50M quota at the university. 50M is really little space, specially
considering you have all your configs/works there, but you can be
clever.

I have all the apps compressed upon logout and decompressed to /tmp
upon login. Then I have the install prefix ($HOME/apps) linked to
/tmp/apps, so everything should work perfectly.

....Or it should, if the sysadmins weren't so dumb (window$ fans..)
that the computer freezes from time to time due to nfs connectivity
problems. They can really get unusable, specially under heavy network
load, so I finally decided to invest in a laptop. Too bad the course
is almost finished....

So it's really just a matter of finding clever solutions to deal with
dumb admins :)

Cheers,
 Renato Caldas