On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, Chris G wrote:

> If I had multiple desktops then (I think) each desktop would have its
> own desktop name in the FvwmPager window title area.

> > Depends how you work.
> Well yes, hence my question!  :-)

When I moved to fvwm, after a bit of experimenting I settled on two
desktops with 4 pages (in a 2x2 arrangement ... I used a 1x4 once on a
laptop with a screen size different from my workstation ... I usually
keep the pager and the clock sticky in the top right corner, but on the
laptop I moved them to a bottom "bar") each.

I originally expected to be able somehow to give a name to the pages
(which could have been just a sequence number) which could appear
somewhere as a visual reminder of where I'm in. I'd liked also to have
different background (solid) colours for each page, mirrored in the pager.

But at the end I can live well without those things. The sticky pager with
the red active window and an highlighted active page colour is enough to
tell me where I am, together with the mini icons of the windows which tell
me what the various pages are used for.

I ended with a "Main desktop" and a "Secondary desktop" (no fancy names).
My original idea was to work at different "projects" in a flexible way in
the 4 pages of the main dt, while the secondary dt was intended for
"network" stuff. In fact I originally planned to keep firefox in one page,
mail (pine) in another, and a VNC session onto an headless machine in
another (the 4th was spare). This is initialized at startup in the
.fvwmrc. Now I hardly use the VNC page, but maybe deposit in the 2 spare
pages a PDF document (triggered in the browser or mail agent) for later
reading.

I have some reproducible patterns of windows in the main dt pages, but I
start them manually when I need them. Not all days are equal !

> Can I move applications between desktops as I can between windows at
> the moment, is it slower to switch desktops rather than windows, etc.?

Thanks to Thomas Adam for the explanation about window (un)mapping etc.
In practice I hardly noticed any difference between switching or moving
windows across pages or across desks.

I originally defined a lot of accelerators to switch pages and desks and
to attach to window menus to move a window to ("occupy") another page or
desk, but I found that I almost never use them.

Usually I switch desks and pages via the pager (rarely dragging a window
to a neighbouring page), while for moving windows the most frequent way
for me is to "stick" it to all pages and desks, change page, then
eventually unstick it. Second choice is drag in the pager.