Fecha: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 19:36:34 +0200
Desde: Jesús Guerrero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Para: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Asunto: Re: FVWM: Beginners-Infos /Example-Files(simple,please) ?

El Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:23:29 -0400 (EDT)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:

> From my experience with users new to FVWM, there's no easy way for
> them to create a config that is usable and looks good.  They don't
> spend the time needed and therefore get a bad taste in their mouth
> and don't return.

Well, as I see it, FVWM is about all being configurable, If you put a
default configuration, it is unavoidable that people that do not know
about FVWM associates that image to FVWM. That can mislead people
making them think that FVWM is a fluxbox or waimea fork, does
it sound ridicule? Maybe, but I bet that I am not completely
wrong. That is the way things work. I know FVWM since many years ago,
but when I used it for first time at my uni, I just saw a windows95
clone, and that kept me from trying it again until on a personal
machine, cause I was a newcomer, and I had no idea what FVWM was, I
just saw that, and for me, FVWM was that.

> Is there anything that can help them?  Are there plans to create some
> tools to assist users in setting up a desktop how they want without
> them getting into the weeds?
> --

There is no need to read all the man pages, they don't even need to
read anything, just use fvwm-themes, fvwm-crystal, or go here and
download a crapton of premade themes, and test them:

http://fvwm.lair.be/viewforum.php?f=39&sid=4bdfcfd4198283ca8346aa389865c222

The only things I would do to the default config is:

a. Maybe add a couple of things to the menu (a help option for example,
so people can press it and a term with some info telling you that fvwm
is not just a grey screen and that can be configured.... blah blah, go
to http://.... to see some examples....)

b. Use a solid color for the background, I don't know who was the
smartass that decided that that grey background was a good idea. It
hurts on the eyes. Any solid color (preferably not too bright) would do
better.

-- Jesús Guerrero