On 20:07 Tue 17 Apr     , Jesús Guerrero wrote:
> Yes hehe, I remember that thread, I was moreless a newcomer to those
> forums when it started, and I was following the thread. After it
> silently died for no apparent reason

Well, we seemed to hit a bit of an impasse as to how to proceed.
Jonathan Kotta reported that our tweaked build broke his existing
config - clearly a bad idea. I had one idea about how to fix things,
which Thomas assured me was Not Supported. On the other hand,
Thomas couldn't replicate the problem on his machine, so things
somewhat stalled. We did revisit the subject a little while back
and it seemed as though part of the problem lay in some distros
using some unsupport files to customise their FVWM distribution.
These days however, free time is somethng that happens to other people
and we never did quite get to the bottom of the problem

(Thomas, I hope that's a fair summary - I'm sure you'll correct me if not ;)

> But for what I can remember, it is the same idea of what an
> "improved" (to name it in some way) FVWM default configuration should
> look. Anyway, I will review it, now that the thing comes into scene
> again.

Well, principle aim was to start up with something that looked like it
was working. On Gentoo at least, the default FVWM config looks exactly
the same as a broken window manager. If you click on the desktop, you get a
menu, but it's all to easy to assume it isn't working and to go install
fluxbox, or something. So: background colour and something to "click to get
a menu"

After that, we thought we might as well show off some of the things
FVWM could do. There is a serious risk here (as stated elsewhere
in this thread) that newcomers will mistake the default config for
the sum total of FVWM, so we tried for somethign people would want to
modify, but also which demonstrated the possibilities. We also wanted
something that would work with a wide range of setups, not be too heavy on
resources, was bright and cheerful, visually distinctive, and had good contrast
for the colour blind.

Given the constraints, I think we did a fabulous job. I'd hesitate to
describe it as the optimum solution, but I do think it was a lot better than
the default at the time.

--
Don't let THEM immanentize the Eschaton!