For most windows, I have ManualPlacement set, and it's generally what I
want.  But a number of apps throw up non-transient windows of their own
accord which thus require placement.  I'm not always around to place the
windows, and so the wireframe will sit there until I return, possibly
hanging other programs due to the server grab.

Is there any way for fvwm to recognize that placement hasn't happened
within, say, n seconds, and fallback to some other placement policy?  There
doesn't seem to be anything in the man page about that (at least in 2.5.18,
or in the NEWS file for the subsequent releases).

If there isn't, how hard would it be to add such a feature?

Thanks,
Danek