I had discussions with Thomas on this issue (off list) and the final conclusion
was that there was no way to do what I wanted because Java (under the hood) is
not respecting the Linux window managers (in this case Fvwm).

I found that when I replace the Java widget with "something else" (like XEyes,
or whatever) I got the behavior I wanted.

I still have a -tiny- bit of hope that (inside Java) I might be able to refuse
keyboard focus, but my first stabs at this (like "setFocusable(false)" on the
main GUI container) haven't yielded anything.