I had a similar thing happen with a leased line using
securemote.  It turned out to be that the MTU was too
large on the workstation (default 1500.)  The initial
logon worked, and small packet apps like telnet and
ping worked fine,  but everything else hung and timed
out.  I reduced the MTU to 520 and everything started
working.

Chris