From: Jerald Josephs [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2000 2:08 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [FW1] Outbound secure client connections

Unfortunately, FireWall-1 is not going to encrypt and encapsulate any
network
connections that originate from the Intranet and are addressed to the
SecuRemote
Client.

For one, FireWall-1 does not have a method where it can enumerate all of the
authenticated users which have a current connection and then dynamically
associate
an action that would enable it to encrypt outbound packets to the IP address
of
the SecuRemote client. It can only encrypt and encapsulate packets that
match an
existing entry in the state tables.

Secondly, SecuRemote or SecureClient would not accept any encrypted
encapsulated
packets originating from the encryption domain with the SYN bit set.

Finally, even if you use a third-party VPN solution, such as SSH, you would
have to find
some way to initiate a network connection back to your client and fold it
within the established
VPN.  I know how to fold a network connection that I initiate from my SSH
client through the
already established SSH tunnel, but not the other way back. I would not
doubt, however,
that this can be done.

--- Jerald Josephs