On Sep 13, 2008, at 3:38 PM, insightinmind wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2008, at 3:19 PM, Doug Burton wrote:
>
>> Now I'm curious as to why your collection is in the form of aiff?
>> Being a musician is your ear that good to hear the difference between
>> aiff and 192 bit MP3?  I would think a decent sized collection would
>> take some serious HD space using that format.
>
> I'm working on making my collection decent ... mostly Jazz ... that's
> why I don't want to copy it into the iTunes Library area ... just
> leave
> it where I initially put it ... some accept Album Artwork ... and some
> do not (7.7.1 ???)
>
> Yes ... I'm able to hear the difference ... I usually encode at 256
> bit
> mp3, too ... mainly because I just don't want to miss anything ... and
> I walk my dog using over the ear headphones ... yes, a bit geeky
> looking ... I'm going for sound, not sight ...
>
> I also believe there are sounds that we humanoids cannot "hear" ...
> that may possibly push around those we can hear ... so affect what we
> do hear ...
>
> Well ... something like that ...

Did you know that iTunes and "import" music and leave it in aiff
format? I have been slowly (very slowly) ripping my LPs using a
decent Denon turntable and Hafler preamp and an iMic. I save them in
aiff format and import them into iTunes in that format. Now I will
admit that I do not have an MP3 player so the space issue is not as
critical, but I can hear the difference between a ripped file at 192
and the original aiff burned to a CD and played in my car (at least
when stopped).

And yes, I also believe the sounds and harmonics above and below the
range of human hearing do affect what you actually hear.

Len