I tried updating the firmware on my Western Digital My Book Home Edition 500-GB
drive with the updater "WD_MB_Home_1028 (1.02)". The progress bar seemed to
slow down when it was almost finished and, a minute or so later I looked again
and the progress bar had started again from the left, with another "erasing
flash" message and then something like "retrying ...". Then progress bar froze
around the middle. After waiting a very long time, I quit the program. Now the
drive is not recognized as a drive by any program, regardless of whether it is
connected by USB or by FireWire. Here's what shows up on System Profiler,
depending on which connection is used:

>FireWire Bus:
>
>  Maximum Speed:       Up to 800 Mb/sec
>
>Unknown Device:
>
>  Manufacturer:        Unknown
>  Model:       Unknown
>  Maximum Speed:       Up to 400 Mb/sec
>  Connection Speed:    Unknown

>USB Device:
>
>  Version:     ff.ff
>  Bus Power (mA):      500
>  Speed:       Up to 480 Mb/sec
>  Product ID:  0x8000
>  Vendor ID:   0x0928

It's pretty clear that the case's firmware has been clobbered. But I'm
wondering if the drive's firmware might be OK, so that I could read it if I
took it out of the case. Any thoughts?

 - Aaron

P.S. For now, I'm not wanting advice on the warranty issue.