On Sep 29, 2008, at 7:53 AM, hillhippy wrote:

> I'm going to replace the optical drive in my sister in laws iMac G4
> 1.25Ghz 17".  While I've got it taken apart I want to max out the RAM
> and upgrade the hard drive.
>
> The problem is the machine has two DIMM slots one under the base plate
> and one on the mother board.  They each use different memory form
> factors SO-DIMM and SDRAM.  The slots are numbered DIMM 0-J22 and DIMM
> 1-J20, But there is no information that I can find about which jack is
> which (even Apples service source fails to list the jack numbers).  I
> need this information to buy the correct memory prior to taking the
> machine apart (which I only want to do once).  I'm sure that I have
> missed something obvious.
>
> Thanks for your help

I have the very same 17" G4 1.25 GHz iMac.

J20 is the SDRAM slot on the top side of the logic board. Replacing
this requires that you remove the 4 T15 screws that hold the bottom to
the top part of the case. (Don't forget to use new thermal paste and
to tighten these 4 screws to 17 inch pounds when you reassemble the
case.)

J22 is the user-accessible SO-DIMM slot that requires only that you
loosen the four captive Phillips head screws and remove the bottom
plate. HTH.

Jim Scott