Thank you for your input. Not knowing how to properly identify a
retail Tiger disc, I was sold a grey OSX disc. That indeed may be a
source of the install problems. I am wondering if it's the only reason
the machine will not power up; perhaps Apple has some info doc's on
the subject. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.