On Oct 5, 2008, at 4:55 PM, Doug Burton wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2008, at 11:49 AM, Len Gerstel wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>> The next upgrade I would get as soon as possible is a core image
>> video card like the 9600. An upgraded video card will really make the
>> interface snappy.
>>
>> Len
>
> I never really paid much attention to what video card was in the
> DA's that I bought.  Turns out they are both Rage 128 Pro's!  I'm
> currently watching a couple of Radeon 9000 Mac editions on Ebay, so
> while not quite at the 9600 level, it will still be a bit improvement.

If you check on the swap list, you may be able to get a modified 9600
from a G5 for around $50. The mod is pretty easy, you just have to
disable 2 pins (3 and 11 I am pretty sure). You can either tape over
the pins (reversible) or cut the trace (irreversible). I have one of
each and they both work fine.

Just be aware that not all 9600s from G5s will work in a Da or newer
Mac when modified like this. My research says that about 80% will work
in a DA or newer, about 10% need the extra voltage that a MDD provides
and will not work in a QS or DA and 10% will not work in any 4x AGP
slot.

Len
with a 128MB 9600XT  in my home beast and a 64MB 9600 in my work Mac.