On Oct 9, 2008, at 5:55 AM, Steve R wrote:

> So are we to not use an external hard drive with any other OS than
> Leopard once it's been used with Leopard since using an external with
> Leopard is messing with the drive been used with other OSes? All
> either dredbob or my neighbour did was copy files, and both
> dismounted their hard drives correctly. Something's rotten in
> Cupertino if that's the case.

I think you're jumping to conclusions that there's some relationship
between the file system corruption and mounting the HD on a Leopard
Mac. You didn't give any information about the external HD itself, but
I'd guess we're talking about a USB HD rather than a Firewire? There
are so many other things involved in external HDs, for example, the
bridge circuitry. The HD is either PATA or SATA and has an ATA-to-USB
(or Firewire) bridge. Some bridge chipsets are better than others, and
some are known bad. Also, the cables carry current, and the circuitry
can get "fried" if you try to plug them in oriented upside-down. Also,
if the enclosure require a power supply, this can cause circuitry
issues if there's a problem. So there are several ways your external
box could be bad. Many external HDs lack any cooling at all, so if you
leave them in use for long periods the HDs inside overheat and go bad
much quicker than normal, so there's also a chance the HD inside the
box is bad from overheating. You've also got the ports on the
computers that could have problems.

You supposition that "Leopard" is to blame for a "bad leaf count"
corruption is probably near the bottom of my list of possible causes
of your problem. There are many more likely causes. If you suspect
Leopard OS as the culprit, the Apple Discussions forums would be a
good place to start looking for a more generalized problem which would
effect all brands and makes of external hardware. I read these and
haven't seen anything similar to your problem, which leads me to
believe your problem is relatively isolated.

Did you repair the file system or not?