I just bought a G5 2.0 dual core off Ebay, and the 23" Apple Cinema
Display that I've been using with my G4 Quicksilver won't connect to
it, because the monitor has an ADC connector, and the G5 has only DVI
ports (I know Apple has a converter cable, but they want $100 for it).

That big 23" screen spoiled me, so I'm looking for something
comparable in size and sharpness to use with the G5. Apple wants $900
for a new 23" monitor! (and look at all the complaints from buyers:
<http://tinyurl.com/3ewefn>).

There are plenty of big used Apple Cinema Displays with DVI connectors
on eBay, of course, but a good monitor picture is such a subjective
thing, and there are so many potential problems with used displays
("pink screen," dead pixels, scratches, age, etc.) that I hesitate to
buy used.

On the other hand, you can buy two or more brand new non-Apple
monitors for the price of one Apple Cinema Display, yet the number of
brands and models at such places as Costco and Sam's  is bewildering:
Samsung, Acer, ViewSonic, HP, Dell, and many others, and it appears
that quality varies widely.

So, I'll ask for advice from users of different monitors here. What
brand offers a good LCD in the 22-24" size with a crisp, sharp
picture, good viewing angles, fast response time etc. that would be
comparable to an Apple Cinema Display, and be just as good for video
editing in Final Cut and digital photo work in Photoshop?

Any recommendations, caveats, or comments would be appreciated.

Tom