At 2:28 AM -0700 10/12/08, Rick King posted:
>  Why is it that Mac stopped making decent keyboards and now sell utter
>  crap?  I just got done taking a hammer to yet another one of these
>  worthless usb abortions Mac switched to.  In the last year I have
>  gone through at least 6.  They just quit working.  I worked with that
>  one for some time.  It started typing two's all by itself so I
>  flipped it upside down and beat on it to make that stop.  Then it
>  starts in on 0's.  Then the caps lock key quits and half the letters
>  go.  I unplug it, plug it back in.  Reboot the whole machine.

Rick, I feel your pain and your frustration. I quit using Apple
keyboards when they went USB. The feel wasn't right for typing, not
like the basic ADB keyboard on my P475. I bought a Macally USB to
replace the Apple one that came with the iMac 350. When I got the
iMac 500 and was using both computers, I got used to
unplugging/plugging because even their updated KB felt like crap.
When I bought the G5 used, it came with a white keyboard that just
doesn't work for me -- the key action is crap compared to the
Macally. So whenever I need to work on any of the three, the Macally
comes with me. I take the board apart several times a year to wash it
down with a toothbrush. Keeps on tickin' Take a lickin' -- until this
latest 10.5 Security Update when the keys started repeating and not
stopping. I end up crawling under the desk to unplug it. I thought it
might be age, dirt, contacts -- cleaned and checked. Still it
sporadically repeats the number keys. It's probably time for a new
keyboard, because I won't be using any of the 3 USBs I have sitting
on shelves in case I sell or give away the older computers.

Out of curiosity, did you start out typing on a typewriter? I started
with manuals, advanced to electric and believe the reason I like the
ADBs and the Macally is because their key action feels more natural
to me.

Steve R
--
                Reopen NAFTA. Reclaim our sovereignty.