At 12:39 PM -0500 11/12/2008, Donald Hall wrote:
>On Nov 12, 2008, at 11:58 AM, Dan wrote:
>>  On another note... There are a lot of 1 TB drives going for $99 or
>>  less right now.  Careful, folx!  Many of them are LP size (normal
>>  3.5" drives) but then they're 5400rpm instead of 7200 rpm!  So they
>>  cannot keep up with their fast SATA or USB 2 or FW interfaces!   IOW,
>>  they're cheap because they're s l o o o o o w.
>
>Just about any recent 3.5" drive can completely saturate a USB 2 or
>Firewire interface.  The 5400 RPM 1TB drives are fine for FW or USB
>interfaces, with an average speed of 68MB/sec.  The average USB
>interface might reach 25MB/sec, FW is 35-37MB/sec (out of 40),

You've actually had a 5400 rpm drive push data at those speeds?
Tailored benchmarks are nice, but I'm not seeing half that, in real
world tests.

>To say that a 5400 RPM drive is slow isn't exactly accurate.  They're
>slower than other comparable sized drives, but they are still
>considerably faster than any drive 400GB or less.

heh. Try running a Mac on a 3.5" 5400rpm drive.  It will be
noticeably slower than if booted / running on a 7200rpm drive.

>You're also missing the intended use for the drive.

No.  I'm just pointing out that getting all glowy eyed over the 10c
per GB, without further investigation, is now a problem.  The product
has been downsized and the package is the same.

>Their ideal purpose is to be put into places with limited needs where their
>slightly slower performance won't be an issue

Yes.  IF you, the consumer, know what you're buying in the first place!

>http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/terabyte-samsung-spinpoint,2026-6.html

Nice read.  Again, benchmarks vs real world usage.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth