On Nov 21, 2008, at 12:37 AM, insightinmind wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2008, at 12:25 AM, Bob wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> My Quicksilver 2002 (upgraded to 1.8 GHz, 160 Gb HD, ATI Radeon 64 Mb
>> Video, Leopard, 10.5.5) has started acting really weird.
>>
>> - It starts up by itself in the middle of the night.
>>
>> - The monitor blacks out every minute, and then comes on about 4
>> seconds later.
>>
>> I've tried booting off another image, and the same thing happens, and
>> I've tried swapping video cards but it keeps doing it.
>>
>> I've connected the monitor to my PC (Yechh!), and that works fine
>> (AArrgh!) all the time, so I don't thuink its the monitor.
>>
>> I haven't checked the PRAM battery, but it was replaced in July '08,
>> so I suspect it should be OK.
>>
>> All suggestions (except getting another Mac) welcome.
>>
>> Bob
>

> Could you try another video card in the QS? Reset PRAM?
>
> I have a QS 2002 ... but it hasn't misbehaved like that ... original
> Dual 1GHz, 10.5.5, but an ATI Radeon 9800Pro Mac Edition.
>
> You just do the Quicktime update? needs to restart to finish the
> install? is that what its trying to do?
>
> Guessing.

After sleeping on the question ...

Apologies ... I re-read your post and see you tried swapping out
video cards. Did you also do the reset of PRAM? I assume you shut
down completely as well.

What other PCI cards are installed? something that might be known to
have trouble waking from sleep mode?

There have been 3 updates to Leopard recently: Safari, Quicktime and
iTunes ... in that order I believe.

Any electrical storms? surges?

Do you have a cat? maybe a new housemate such as a mouse? that
perhaps crawled across the keyboard?

Bill Connelly
artsite: http://mysite.verizon.net/moonstoneartstudio
myspace: http://www.myspace.com/moonstoneartstudio