THANK YOU KRIS!!!

<Hold the SHIFT key at startup to disable the extensions and it should
complete the startup hopefully?>

Yes, that started me up (although it was weird not seeing the "Welcome to
Mac OS, Extensions Off" notice), I got into OS 9 OK that way. The G4's
eject button didn't work in getting it to spit out the CD but I was able
to change the startup back to Tiger, and in Tiger, the eject button works
-- so I got the CD out.

So now I can go ahead with dc's "nuke and pave" reinstall of OS 9 on that
drive. My backups are maintained really well, there's only a couple
checks I need to make first before wiping the 20 GB HD and doing a REALLY
CLEAN OS 9 installation.

<If your G4 has the current
firmware you should be able to use the Option key to select whatever
bootable device you wish at startup.>

This Option-Restart method always did work for me, until the recent
issues. Maybe after I clean up that HD I'll be able to do it again.  :-)

Thank you so much!

~Yersinia.