On Dec 13, 2008, at 10:41 PM, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:

>> Disk Utility handles most problems quite well.  If it can't, then you
>> can purchase DiskWarrior or Data Rescue ... but really, at that
>> point, the only time you'd be reaching for those particular utilities
>> is if you totally failed to make backups.  (hint hint)  :)
>
> Okay ...
>
> I always backup my data.
>
> But I never made an external clone of everything because I didn't
> have a bootable drive.
>
> Guess I figured if anything went horribly wrong I'd just reinstall
> the System, put back the data, and voila.
>
> I am thinking that's what they are referring to when they write "nuke
> and pave."
>
> However, is there a better way and can you point me in direction of a
> resource I can use to make a clone?

For backup, I like Carbon Copy Cloner or CCC 3.1.3, under Tiger and /
or Leopard, which IMO does it all (along with any of a variety of
hard drives, often externally housed). See:
http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Yes ... I recently did a Nuke & Pave ... chose to re-Install Leopard
from scratch. The "Nuke" was zeroing the entire partition I had
previously installed Leopard upon, and the "Pave" was using the
Leopard Install DVD, and then Software Update to reach (pave my way)
back to 10.5.5. I needed to re-install all my other drivers (like the
one for my M-Audio 2496 PCI Card, the one for USB-MIDI connectivity
for my Yamaha digital keyboard, and the one for my Logitech Wireless
KB and Mouse, etc etc etc ... pave, pave, pave).

There were Time Machine "backups", but they were all tainted with
"add on" apps that messed up my OS X partition ... well, that I
added, that messed up the OS X 10.5.5 ... and then there's the latest
and greatest in OS development for the Intels ...

Having a second machine, a PCI Graphics Yikes! a friend gave me, that
I also wanted to backup, running Tiger 10.4.11, I chose to use the
new CCC 3.1.3 to create clones of my partitions to a FW Harddrive
connected to my other machine, a QS 2002 Dual 1GHz. The QS is now
using Time Machine to back itself up, and my Yikes! uses CCC over my
home network. Now if something goes wrong, I can boot from the clone,
and/or CCC it back ... something going wrong meaning a hardware
failure, not an OS X failure.

I might also switch to CCC for the QS if I stop liking the eye candy
nature of Time Machine.

Just some thoughts to ponder ... or not ...

Best wishes,

Bill Connelly
artsite: http://mysite.verizon.net/moonstoneartstudio
myspace: http://www.myspace.com/moonstoneartstudio