At 10:41 PM -0500 12/13/2008, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:
>On Dec 13, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Dan wrote:
>  > the only time you'd be reaching for those particular utilities
>  > is if you totally failed to make backups.  (hint hint)  :)
>
>I always backup my data. But I never made an external clone of
>everything because I didn't have a bootable drive.  Guess I figured
>if anything went horribly wrong I'd just reinstall the System, put
>back the data, and voila.  I am thinking that's what they are
>referring to when they write "nuke and pave."

Your method is just fine.  Many of us like to use an external clone
because it makes other things so much easier.  If something is foo on
your system, a quick reboot onto the clone can tell you a lot.
Faster to reboot onto the clone for the purposes of repairing the
internal, too  (avoid that agonizing long wait while the DVD boots).
Nuke and Pave is faster too - since the clone is already your whole
system.

>However, is there a better way and can you point me in direction of a
>resource I can use to make a clone?

Tis Xmas Season!  External HDs are often on sale.  Depending on the
quality and the plethora of interfaces... you can do anything from
500 GB to 1 TB for $99.  Then just use SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner
to make the backup.

Partition the external a bit.  Make at least one that matches the
size of each of your internal drives - that way you can back 'em each
up.  The extra volume is great of other storage.

We've had several threads about backups and SuperDuper and
CarbonCopyCloner (CCC) over the past year.  Take a look at 'em.  Good
info there.

HTH,
- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth