Dan wrote:
> Well, I guess this means all bets are off.  To me, "Seagate" was a
> name that indicated drives of the highest quality... but if the
> company doesn't have faith in their own products...
>
> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/12/12/seagate_cuts_bare_drive_warranty/
>
> "For products purchased on or after January 3, 2009, the limited
> warranty period for consumer electronics, notebook and personal
> storage bare drives sold to Seagate Authorized Distributors will be
> changed from 5 to 3 years."
>
> sigh.
>
> "A Seagate Bare Drive Warranty Change FAQ strongly rebuts any
> suggestion that this reflects lower confidence in product quality."
>
> Yea right.  ROFLMAO.
>

> What's next?  A 23% repair rate on Mac laptops?  Smaller crackers in
> the box for the same price?  I know, 3.5 oz yogurt in the 6 oz cup!
>
> sigh.
>
> - Dan.

Take heart...  I remember back to the 1980's and early '90's when you
almost couldn't give a Seagate away - - -  Horrible failure rates. At
the time, one would look to Quantum and later Fujitsu for dependability.

Ain't it time for the primitive mechanical drive to be replaced by a
solid state equivalent?

JT

(Who still has internal combustion engines in his cars)