On Dec 19, 2008, at 8:14 PM, Mike Baker wrote:

> Your best bet is to get a 256 MB RAM module and replace the 128 MB
> RAM module with it, or if you have four RAM slots, add another 128
> MB RAM module. I just took the RAM in my G$ Sawtooth from 896 RAM
> to 1.5 GB RAM. It has four slots, so the first two slots are 512 MB
> RAM modules and the last two are 256 MB RAM modules. I could take
> it up to 2 GB RAM but Mac OS 9 only recognizes up to 1.5 GB RAM. My
> next two purchases for it will be 1 ATI Rage 9200 card and a second
> hard drive.

Hi Mike,

As you see, many here are saying forget it with a G4. However, over
here I note folks having luck running CS4 on their G4s - things
aren't as fast as they would be on a G5 or Intel but pretty much as
fast as CS3 or 4 were.

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6cfb2

Anyhow, presently I have 896MB, so if I yank a 128 stick and put in a
256, I seem to be shy of the 1GB total (984MB). Does that matter?
Will the CS4 installer notice?

I actually hardly need all the CS4 programs - mainly I want the
Dreamweaver and the Flash. I can use the Photoshop 7 for awhile, it's
just for image editing and I know it really well. I figure on getting
a new machine when OS 10.6 comes out.

Yeah, I could ditch this machine and just use my son's while he's at
school, but I know because of deadlines I will want to be working
some in the evening while he's doing homework. Not a plan really.

Was thinking to maybe yank the 128 stick and add a 512, that would
work, wouldn't it? Or even, Yank the 256 and the 128 and get two
512s. The RAM seems pretty cheap over at OWC, it's 31.99 for the 512
stick.

The processor is a different story. I do hate to get into the guts of
the machine. Today I put in the optical drive as Dan suggested, and
spent a half hour trying to get a screw out of the old assembly.
Someone at Apple drank too much coffee when they were screwing it in
and overscrewed it. Finally I got on the phone with my Dad who
suggested tapping with a hammer on the screwdriver to give the
screwdriver more traction (threads stripped by now). I guess the
tapping (pounding) loosened it. But now I guess I can't sell the old
one on Ebay because who knows what the tapping/pounding did to it.

Oh and then I had the optical drive in the assembly backwards. I am
just not terribly good at the hardware end of things.

Thanks all -

Anne Keller Smith
Down to Earth Web Design

G4 Quicksilver 733mHz Tower
896 MB RAM, 40 GB hard drive, OS 10.4.11

Intel iMac 2.4gHz Core 2 Duo
1GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive, OS 10.5.5

mailto:earth...@ptd.net
http://www.downtoearthweb.com