cheryl wrote:
> My G4 won't start up. The power went out while I was gone, and when it
> came back on, I couldn't get the computer to start. The light on the
> button comes on but then it goes out as soon as I take my finger off
> it. The monitor and internet box are fine, and right now I'm working
> on my old G3. Thank Goddess I didn't get rid of it! I have a surge
> protector power strip that's made for computers and peripherals.
>
> So do you think the computer is fried or is it just a fuse or
> something? I've had the power go out while the machine was on and it
> came back up just fine. This time I had it in sleep mode. I don't know
> if that makes a difference.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Cheryl

Open door and briefly push the reset button or remove pram battery for
2+ minutes (wouldn't hurt to check voltage on battery while it's out).

Assuming that the G3 is in a different location:
Also try pulling power cord for 5 minutes. If other items not working on
strip or same wall outlet check breaker and power at wall outlet.

Another step would be to start unplugging devices, does the same
keyboard/mouse work ok on G3?
------
How to test w/ multimeter

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_test_a_wall_outlet_with_a_multimeter

This item tests for proper ground and can tell if circuit dead. I keep
one in my tech and laptop bags.
http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=419579&Redir=1&description=TrippLite-CT120%20Instant-Read%20AC%20Outlet%20Circuit%20Tester-Test%20Equipment
They are proud of this one.
I bet I can find one cheaper, I'll look around some more.

I did......
Electrical Receptacle Wall Plug AC Outlet Ground Tester    (on ebay
search this title if link breaks)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290272907301&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=370120198844&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%252BIA%26itu%3DCR%252BIA%252BUCI%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D42

https://www.hardwareworld.com/120v-Ac-Outlet-Tester-pN7NSQJ.aspx

Check Lowes/Home Depot/etc