Hello All! Original Poster Here.  Looks like I've kicked up a diverse
conversation here. I think I've gleaned a great deal of thoughts from
what's been discussed and I'll check on the NIST info soon. I want to
comment on the RAW image file discussions. It occurs to me that the
proper way to think of a camera's RAW file is to consider it a 'piece
of undeveloped film'. The conversion and manipulation of a RAW file
into a TIFF or JPEG is incredibly analagous to the astonishing ways
Film can be manipulated to change the outcome of it's development into
a finished Slide or Negative. Let along the changes one can introduce
when taking that slide or negative to the print stage. I personally
would NEVER consider an Undeveloped Piece Of Film to be ARCHIVAL.
Currently, I don't see how RAW in it's current technological status
can be considered ARCHIVAL. There is to much proprietary, licensed,
and secret(?) tied up in how Nikon, Canon, Hasselblad, etc have things
structured. Maybe ADOBE can give DNG to the Library Of Congress as a
repository of profiles and processes and such. How are all these
zillions of important images be stored for posterity let alone
people's family snapshots and memories???

Richard