On Jan 6, 2009, at 10:38 PM, aussieshepsrock wrote:

> Hello All! Original Poster Here.  Looks like I've kicked up a diverse
> conversation here. I think I've gleaned a great deal of thoughts from
> what's been discussed and I'll check on the NIST info soon. I want to
> comment on the RAW image file discussions. It occurs to me that the
> proper way to think of a camera's RAW file is to consider it a 'piece
> of undeveloped film'. The conversion and manipulation of a RAW file
> into a TIFF or JPEG is incredibly analagous to the astonishing ways
> Film can be manipulated to change the outcome of it's development into
> a finished Slide or Negative. Let along the changes one can introduce
> when taking that slide or negative to the print stage. I personally
> would NEVER consider an Undeveloped Piece Of Film to be ARCHIVAL.
> Currently, I don't see how RAW in it's current technological status
> can be considered ARCHIVAL. There is to much proprietary, licensed,
> and secret(?) tied up in how Nikon, Canon, Hasselblad, etc have things
> structured. Maybe ADOBE can give DNG to the Library Of Congress as a
> repository of profiles and processes and such. How are all these
> zillions of important images be stored for posterity let alone
> people's family snapshots and memories???
>
> Richard

I should note I was just talking about digital camera files being best
in RAW format...    In your situation, TIFF is certanly the way to
go.  Since most consumer or even prosumer scanners and software
already interpolate the raw sensor data into TIFF format (there are
some that generate RAW type file, though the cost of such machines is
quite high)   So converting those TIFF images into DNG would be a waste.

If you can, scan and create a 16bit/pixel TIFF.

-sam