----- Original Message ----
> From: Dan <dantear...@gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> I gots an evil PDF file that I just cannot seem to print properly.
> Hopefully someone here can see what I've missed...  The file is a
> train schedule, from NJ Transit.  The old schedules - they were nice
> - Preview opened 'em and they printed double-sided on our HP LaserJet
> at full size.  Totally readable.  This new schedule... is 24 x 8.5"
> !!!!  Preview makes an unreadable mess, fitting it to a page, or just
> looses 2/3 of the schedule when done at 100%.
>

> Acrobat 9 won't install -- various errors.  So I'm trying to use
> Acrobat 8.1.3  (on OS X 10.4.11).
>
> What print settings do I need to use to print this thing at full
> size, so I can read / use it?
>
> So far, every combination I've tried has resulted in cut off text at
> the margins, or so tiny you cannot even read it with a magnifying
> glass...

By Acrobat 9, I assume you mean the free Reader version? If not the commercial
version has a crop tool. I just tried it in Acrobat 6 and cropped 12 inches to
the left and I got a 8 1/2 x 11 document @ 85% of the right half of one side.
Very easy to read. Following this procedure  for the rest of the doc I would
get four letter size page to read the entire document.

I could have also used the printing "tile" function without doing the above at
least with the printer I use.

OK, you probably don't the commercial version of Acrobat.

In that case check to see if the printer drivers you are using has a tile
option so you can print the file in multiple  pages.

If not ,as a last resort you could use Preview  and use the Select Tool to to
select half the document. First your would likely have to rotate the document
90 degrees. Then copy the selected area to the clipboard and paste it into
TextEdit or similar program. It will print as a graphic so it will still be
difficult to read. I tried this and it is readable but something you would want
to frame.

Or if you have the luxury of processing InDesign 2.0 or later you can just drag
the .pdf into a 4 page, 8 1/2 x 11 doc and crop it to fit and print it with no
loss of quality.

I'm a printer and handle pre-press so if all else fails, if you are not in a
hurry I can send this back to you on Saturday as four page 8 1/2 x 12 .pdf. It
will print at 85% --glen