On Feb 11, 2009, at 9:43 PM, Steve R wrote:

> Having a constant problem with the NAS paths for some reason. I chose
>
>       /Volume_1/folder
>
> as a path in an application. Everything is fine. Then the next time I
> look, the path has changed to
>
>       /Volume_1_1/folder
>
>  and now tonight
>
>        /Volume_1_2/folder.
>
> When I'm in a Finder window, Sidebar shows Shared -> 192.168.0.125
> and dlink-54cd89. Both show me the exact same top level Connected as:
> username.
>
> Should I be accessing the NAS via the sidebar dlink-54ce89 which is
> always there on restart, and *not* via the Go dropdown menu which
> adds the 192.168.0.125?

Well, yes. That may be why you're getting the multiple volume names
you're mounting it multiple times .

If it shows in the sidebar as 'dlink-54ce89' then it's mounted
already, and if you want to see it on the desktop, you'll want to
check the box in Finder prefs to show network volumes on the desktop;
in 10.5, for some utterly unfathomable reason, Apple decided to make
'don't show them' the default.

Mine is proving quite reliable, I dragged the mounted volume icon to
my startup items and it's coming up every time I boot. As one name.

But I did have a memory stick that behaved like that for a long while,
every time I stuck it in it would come up as Untitled_5 or _6 or _7.
(and ever since I nuked a usb stick containing some irreplaceable
files by yanking it without ejecting it, I'm ALWAYS careful about
ejecting them properly, when possible. This would happen even when it
was ejected properly)

I cold make it go away temporarily by using Go> go to folder,
entering /Volumes in the box and deleting all the Unititled folders
but the currently mounted one.

I don't know what caused it, but it did not reoccur after an unrelated
issue forced me to do an archive&reinstall of the OS.

--
Bruce Johnson

"Wherever you go, there you are" B. Banzai,  PhD