At 7:08 AM -0700 2/12/09, Bruce Johnson posted:
>  On Feb 11, 2009, at 9:43 PM, Steve R wrote:
>

>>  Having a constant problem with the NAS paths for some reason. I chose
>>
>>      /Volume_1/folder
>>
>>  as a path in an application. Everything is fine. Then the next time I
>>  look, the path has changed to
>>
>>      /Volume_1_1/folder
>>
>>   and now tonight
>>
>>       /Volume_1_2/folder.
>>
>>  When I'm in a Finder window, Sidebar shows Shared -> 192.168.0.125
>>  and dlink-54cd89. Both show me the exact same top level Connected as:
>>  username.
>>
>>  Should I be accessing the NAS via the sidebar dlink-54ce89 which is
>>  always there on restart, and *not* via the Go dropdown menu which
>>  adds the 192.168.0.125?
>
>  Well, yes. That may be why you're getting the multiple volume names
>  you're mounting it multiple times .

Yup, I was getting multiple occurrences of the volume on the desktop.
But since I (too) often have multiple occurrences of the same Finder
window open, my fading visual synapses didn't manage to get the
information to my fading brain cells. My NAS Ximeta functions more
Mac-like since it's really just an external hard drive accessed via
ethernet than this one that is more server-like and now I'm having to
learn new good habits ;-)

>  If it shows in the sidebar as 'dlink-54ce89' then it's mounted
>  already, and if you want to see it on the desktop, you'll want to
>  check the box in Finder prefs to show network volumes on the desktop;
>  in 10.5, for some utterly unfathomable reason, Apple decided to make
>  'don't show them' the default.

For some reason, even though I have Show Connected Servers checked,
unless I add Volume_1 to the startup items, it won't mount until I
access via the Shared sidebar. Is this normal? (My limited
understanding is, because the NAS comes up automatically on the
Finder "connected servers" Sidebar, that the computer is already
connected to the NAS server and therefore the drive should already be
mounted. ?)

>  Mine is proving quite reliable, I dragged the mounted volume icon to
>  my startup items and it's coming up every time I boot. As one name.

I chose not to RAID the drives so I have the Volume_1 mount as I
access it more frequently. The Volume_2 is being used as an iTunes
server so I rarely need to see a directory.

You probably don't torrent but the NAS is also working as a
BitTorrent box, and far easier than I thought possible. I was going
to work on doing a fun_plug 'thing' this weekend, or whenever my
brain cells would cooperate, so I went ahead and Enabled Bittorrent
through the Easy Find (windows) app, moved some torrent files over to
the start directory and promptly forgot about doing it. But kept
wondering why the blue light was showing activity. Turns out it just
started torrenting on its own without the hours of *nix commands I
thought I was going to have to do. Easy peasy, as we used to say in
the '50s.

Steve R