On Feb 24, 2009, at 3:27 PM, PETE wrote:

>   Actually I do have Arctive Silver 5 (High Density Polysnthetic
> Silver Thermal Compound). I'm just worried because I noticed in
> their website that this compound was being recommended for Intel
> and AMD processors (which of course doesn't mean that it can't be
> used on a mac). I'm just taking into account the sage advice from
> Pete H about this particular compound being conductive. I was
> trying to avoid the Fry's trip, but I suppose I'll have to make it
> after all, and look for a silicone compound.
> TIA.
> Pete.

Heat sink compound is heat sink compound. Does not matter if you are
putting it on an Intel, AMD, 8086, 80286, Z80, Pent 4, Core Duo,
Sparc, Cray, PPC 601, 604e, G3, G4 or even an overclocked Commodore
VIC20, it will work the same.

Just remember, a LITTLE dab 'll do ya and you will be fine using what
you have. To give you an idea, I have a 1/4 oz tube of Radio Schlock
compound that I have used on at least 5 processors, and it is still
over 1/2 full.

As long as you remember you are just trying to fill the microscopic
and slightly larger scratches between 2 flat metal plates that will
be clamped together. As a quantity example, place a very small dap on
your thumb and squeeze it between your thumb and forefinger and see
what oozes out the sides. There is a lot more space between your
fingers than between the processor and heat sink.

Len