At 4:21 PM -0800 2/28/2009, Gus wrote:

>I thought that DOCSIS 3.0 was supose to be backward compatible with
>DOCSIS 2.0 both at the Cable Modem and the Cable modem termination
>system.??

It is, to a point.

Maintaining a "mixed" network is an expensive hassle at many
different levels - physical, engineering, support, management, and
legal.  It's ok for transition, but the goal is a uniform network
that offers the same services / reliability / features to all
customers.  Customers get angry if you cannot provide *all* your
advertised services to them!

The norm is to just swap out the modems, as they upgrade each leg, to
provide a nice smooth fast transition.

The problem is what to do with customers that own their own
equipment.  They made that choice, *knowing* the requirements of the
network as they're spelled out in the ToS.  It takes extra work to
support so many different types of modems.  Is it worth keeping a
lower-revenue customer that's going to drag down the network because
of their older-protocol equipment?

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth