My Beige boots very quickly....faster than my B&W.  The Beige is
upgraded with a ZIF Encore to 500mhz G4...
The slowness in WmHatch's G3 makes me wonder if the jumpers on the
IDE drives are correctly set.  It might be worth disconnecting one of
the IDE drives and then re-starting.  I would also try the other IDE
as the boot drive and see if there is any improvement.