On Mar 6, 2009, at 6:26 PM, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:

> This from another list. Wondering if it's something that can cause
> trouble within Word on a Mac or just something that is on a Windows
> Word file and the Mac user passes it thru to another Windows user
> without being affected. I guess the Mac OS doesn't get affected in
> any case. Anyone have the low down on what this is about?
>
>> hi everyone:  a friend just called me in tears - she a new Mac user
> (new laptop).  apparently she has a Word macro virus, and she needs
> to be sending out some Word >documents.

???

If she does have a Macro virus she must have a really, really OLD
version of Word.

Since Office 97/98 Word has always popped up a dialog when opening a
document that contains macros, blocking their loading, and offering to
let the user immediately save it without the macros.

After that, Word Macro viruses vanished in the wild...I haven't seen
one that did not come from a very old archived file in years and
years. Why the hell Microsoft couldn't apply that lesson to the rest
of Windows, I'll never know.

If she's getting a report from someone else that the file has macros
in it, she should look in the Macros menu with that document open, and
see if there is anything there...it could well be that the whole thing
is a false positive from some flaky Windows AV app, especially if the
victim has been infested with one of the fake AV apps going around on
the Windows side. Those are bad.

They'll grind your system to a halt, kill your current AV, open back
doors on your computer and then they demand that you pay $40-$60 to
'upgrade' to the 'Pro' version which will remove things. Of course,
the only virus infecting the PC is usually that software.

99.99% of Word Macro Viruses can only harm Windows systems.

ClamXAV <http://www.clamxav.com/>

--
Bruce Johnson

"Wherever you go, there you are" B. Banzai,  PhD