Bruce Johnson wrote:
> On Mar 7, 2009, at 11:33 AM, Stephen Weber wrote:
>

>> She might want to try a brand name antivirus like Norton or McAfee (If
>> McAfee makes it for macs), I know McAfee for the PC scans before for
>> viruses
>> before installing.
>> I use McAfee for my laptop and Norton for Mac OS 9.
>> I have  all the auto scanning and auto protection off for Norton, to
>> save
>> System resources.
>>

> She doesn't.
>
> Both of those products are crap-piles you pay for. Since there are no
> OS X viruses in the wild, you're paying for protection from something
> that cannot ever harm your computer.
>
> I wouldn't let Norton's <anything> have a foothold on my computer...

Come on folks, get with the program. Bruce has been talking about
Norton, etc, for a while now. Come on people, let's put our mac hats
on....the day I run an anti virus on my mac...well, I tell ya, something
is happening to the universe. I simply won't. I this the OP should tell
her friend to get Open Office. Ditch Word. As regards fixing the current
problem...take the machine to someone who can start that poppy using a
Firewire, get in the HD, delete word, copy the .doc files, install Open
Office and let OO deal with them.