On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 8:08 PM, MacGuy <macgu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Got a mac pro that's spent it's entire existence on the floor, in a
> cramped space with a chain-smoker for the past year and a half. The
> thing is so clogged with yellow goo and dirt that the power supply
> literally caught fire once about 4 months ago. Fortunately for him,
> Apple came through with another power supply! I couldn't believe it.
> Anyway, my question is.... How do I remove such nasty? The whole
> system would undoubtedly need to be carefully disassembled, which I'm
> not afraid of doing. But the GOO? how to get rid of it safely? without
> harming the various parts. I think an automotive parts washer is out
> of the question here:-) ps. and no, it's not mine!

I have had this with three old Macs.

My drill is to get a large can ( or two small ones ) of spray electronic
cleaner and some rubbing alcohol. An old toothbrush and some newspapers.

I take the machine outside put it on the spread newspaper and open it up.
Pull all the cardss and memory too. Lay them out for cleaning. With a soft
paint brush I take off the first layer of dry dust if there is one. This
saves fluid for the hard part.
Then I spray a heavy coat of the contact cleaner on all surfaces and in the
power supply also.
Tilting the machine helps the guk run out. Use the toothbrush on the
stubborn parts.

Now repeat the process. You will see even more come out.  Use the brushed
more until you see it all is good and clean. Now hopefully you have enough
spray for a final rinse.

You can use the alcohol poured on the parts if you run out of the more
expensive contact cleaner. Use it on any parts, connectors, ports etc. You
may have missed.

Now put it on dry paper and tilt until you get all the fluid out. Then let
it air dry for a reasonable time. Reassemble it carefully and make sure all
cards are seated. Do any hardware resets at this time also.

If all is well with the hardware it should at least be looking for a drive
on start.