Hi All - thanks for your advice.

I think it's definitely a corrupted system problem.  Tried to do an
Archive and Install and the problem got worse, to the point where Disk
First Aid has gone from saying there is nothing wrong with the disk,
to saying it cannot be repaired! Yuck!

>From the OS X install disk, I can select OS9 on my computer as a
startup disk and it starts and loads fine, with all files present and
everything functioning.  OS X won't load and now I just get a blue
screen (before I was getting my custom desktop picture and the dock
and file headers)

I have ordered an upgrade for my Disk Warrior, and will just have to
sit tight until it gets here!  I'll be sure to let you know if it
fixes the problem.

BTW - I started to notice little problems with my system after I
installed the last system update from Apple.  Has anyone else
experienced problems after that update?  Just wondering, because my
system was very stable until then.