If the hard drive has gone bad and the optical drive is the only
device on the bus then the cable position and/or master/slave/cs
jumpers on the optical drive may need to be reset in order for the
drive to be recognized. The same would apply to the hard drive if it
is the DVD drive that has gone bad, but generally hard drives are more
likely to fail. I'd try unplugging the hard drive, putting the DVD
drive on the last cable connector with the jumpers set as Master and
see what happens.