Hmm . . . Interesting, just comparing notes here -

I use Firefox for most of my mail activity, but still use Safari for
Apple comms etc.

Haven't been getting any odd downloads like you have, but in the past
few days Command-Q has become ineffective and I've been having to
Force Quit to get out of it. Otherwise, I stare at the spinning
beachball forever . . .

Wondering if this oddity and the behaviour you're experiencing could
be somehow related? The only thing I've installed lately has been an
update to Flip4Mac.

JM