Stephen Conrad and Bill Connelly write:

<I have a Sony monitor that has 4 USB ports on it.

Earlier tonight I stuck a 3rd flash drive in and it came up (name shown:
Kingston I). I saved 2 files to it and was saving a 3rd when I saw a
message saying something about it being removed and the files might be
messed up {I forget the exact message}. Problem is....I did NOT remove
it. What might have caused this? Is there some reason I cannot put 4 USB
Flash Drives on this thing?

Is that port a bit loose? I have one on my QS ... whatever's plugged
in needs to stay very still ... otherwise its a bit flaky ...>

It could also be your flash drive, too. Is it shielded? Not knowing the
difference between shielded and unshielded at the I bought my second
flash drive, I ended up with one of each -- my original shielded 1 GB
and the unshielded 8 GB one I bought a year later. The unshielded one is
hard to solidly plug into either the USB hub on my QS -- or USB
extension which it stopped running from but used to ("not enough
power"), or eithe of my iBook's USB ports. Because my 8 GB flash drive
lacks the shielding, it's thinner and has to stay very still -- it's
loose anywhere I plug it in, whereas my shielded 1 GB flash drive ALWAYS
plugs in easy/nicely fitted, no matter where I'm using it, and never
comes loose. I can even pick up the iBook and walk across the room with
it with the 1 GB flash drive in. I wouldn't dare do that with the 8GB
flash drive in it! I'm almost sorry I bought the thing, but I do
occasionally need to "sneakernet" more files than will fit on the 1 GB,
and 8 GB will fit both my Sims games and a few extra folders.

Um, OK: how to tell if your flash drive is shielded or not: Look at the
part where you plug it into a USB hub. If it's "surrounded" by metal on
all sides, it's shielded. If it isn't, and you only see the thin
"square" sticking out, metal on one side (looks kind of like a circuit
pattern on it)/plastic on the other, that's unshielded.

Sorry I don't know the actual technical term for the part of a flash
drive you plug into the port -- I also don't know the technical term for
this "thingie" my boyfriend has which provides a shield for unshielded
flash drives...he's got this thingie plugged into one of his USB
extensions. That's the only place my 8 GB ever plugged in solidly and
didn't have to be kept absolutely still.

Someone else might be able to provide proper names for all this, right?
If anyone can, please do!

~Yersinia.