I'd max out the RAM first, then look at CPU replacements. I got a Mercury 1.7
GHZ CPU to replace the 400 GHz CPU in my Sawtooth and it's made the biggest
difference. The third thing I would look at would be a newer video card.
If the total of the above would come to more than $300, you might want to look
at newer Macs.