On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 22:39 -0700, Kyle Hansen wrote:
> On 6/12/09 10:21 PM, "Stephen Weber" <maryland...@gmail.com> Broadcast
> into the ether:
>
>         My suggestion is to get a really nice surge protector or get a
>         battery back up.  Were I live I had some really bad storms
>         pass through on the 9th and when I went down stairs to turn on
>         my iMac G3 I noticed that the surge protector was tripped.  So
>         they do work.
>
>         On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 12:41 AM, Ralph Green
>         <sfrea...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>                 Howdy,
>                  Absolutely.  That is what the PRAM batteries are
>                 there for.  They keep
>                 the system settings when you are unplugged.  It does
>                 not take much
>                 power, but you do run them down faster when you are
>                 unplugged.  When you
>                 are plugged in, they are not being drained by the
>                 computer at all.  They
>                 are just naturally discharging, as batteries always
>                 do.
>                 Good day,
>                 Ralph
>
> I suggest the same.  But not in the form of top posting as Stephen
> did.  Buy a decent UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) that also has a
> voltage regulator.  That is what I do with all my important systems.

  Since I am leaving the thread above in place, I'll bottom post.  I
generally prefer top posting and heavily trimming the message you are
responding to, but bottom posting has its place.
  I keep my main system on a UPS, as is mentioned above.  But, we should
specifically address Billy's original question.  UPS's do not make your
system immune to a lightning strike.  They can help.  Lighting has a lot
of power and if it hits near you, there is nothing short of an air gap
that has a chance of protecting the system.  If it is really close, an
air gap is not enough.  I have some computers I regularly unplug in bad
thunderstorms.  I figure if I get a lightning strike, I want to have
some surviving systems.  If you do this, look and make sure everything
is unplugged.  If you leave the monitor connected to power and your
computer, the lightning will come that way.  An ethernet cable is a fine
power conduit for lightning, too.
 And finally, since Dan Knight says we can top post, I'll continue to do
it where I think it is appropriate.  Kyle has provided a lot of useful
answers to this list, so it is not intended as disrespect.  But, Dan
sets the rules here, as far as I know.
Good luck,
Ralph